Tooth fractures and tooth decay expose the interior of the tooth to bacteria that normally have no access to the inside of your teeth. Once inside the teeth, sugars, starches and bacteria dissolve healthy tooth structure and cause infection of the tissues within the teeth.
Restoring damaged tooth structure with dental filling material has a number of benefits including:
- Limits damage caused by trauma and dental cavities, dental caries or dental decay.
- Protects the remaining tooth structure from further damage.
- Reestablishes adequate function of the tooth.
- Helps prevent damage to the nerve of the tooth.
- Helps prevent tooth loss.
- Makes it easier to clean your teeth.
- Lowers the bacterial count in your mouth.
- Helps you achieve and maintain fresh breath.